Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Triple Win of One

To date, I have always viewed "Triple Wins", in the perspective of two or more people (entities), as equations where 1+1=3 or greater. It had never occurred to me that this same type of situation could exist as a solo condition, where 1+0=2 or greater.

Through the majority of my career, I have been taught to focus on my weaknesses. If I could just get better at these two or three things, then I could be a well-rounded (competent) person and my career would be elevated. This is where the equation needs to be broken. What does well-rounded even mean?

What I have noticed about the people I consider great is that they weren't all that well-rounded... in fact, they flat out sucked at certain things. Many of the people I admire most didn't finish college and some had some pretty major weaknesses. As Jim Collins says in Good to Great, if you can't be world class at it... you should spend too much time and energy on it.

"Most significantly, Collins says that we must 'stop doing things at which we are only competent.'  He goes so far as to call this 'the curse of competency.' Often, we are competent,  but lack the potential to be the best in the world at the thing.

Collins tells us that we can never build a world-class company (or a world-class life) doing things at which we are only just competent. Someone who is just competent at mathematics, for example, won't make a great mathematician. Just as being simply competent at something isn't the basis for a great career, being experienced at something isn't the basis for company greatness. Maybe, your potential for greatness isn't even something you're currently doing." 1

Now, don't get me wrong, you do need to be competent in most of the foundational levels, but most professionals I have met have met those levels... with just a few road blocks. In most cases those road block are just now worth trying to overcome.  Spending a bunch of time and energy to become average at them is a huge waste. But knowing them (your weaknesses) well and understanding them is key. What I see from  great people is they have not only come to terms with their weaknesses, they have embraced them. Typically, they avoid them and when forced to deal with them,  get help... but, in general, they have accepted them for what they are.

Simply put: you just can't be great at everything. 

Okay, let's get back to the new equation...
We have started viewing people in this new perspective and are encouraging them to recognize their own strengths and then really focus their time and energy in those areas. I have personally seen the magic in several individuals when given this challenge.
It goes like this...

They sit back a little in their chair, their eyes race a little up toward the ceiling  and then, after about three second go by, a huge smile appears on their face and their eyes suddenly come back to focus. They actually get a little excited and say something like "I've got it!"  

This moment is the proverbial +0  or the start of the new equation.  You can actually see the energy being created. Best part is...that's just the start of it!  Believe it or not, everything  actually goes up from there. Supporting people in putting most of their time and energy into the things they are already good at allows them to become world-class and, not only elevates them, but the people around them, as well. When you focus on getting better at what you have a passion for, and already excel at, you actually create energy within yourself, and those around you, as you do it.

So while I am still searching for "Triple Wins",  I have added a new category:  "Triple Wins of One", when you add just a little focus and alignment to who you already are, energy (in some cases MASSIVE amounts) gets created.      

So I ask... will you continue to be hunted by the curse of competency? Or will you turn world-class?



[Update 12/8/2011]

Since the posting of my last entry, I have had quite a few pointed discussions... what this really tells me is that this equation and way of thinking is harder to break than I had initially anticipated.

The discussions have all been around "what if I have a weakness that is holding me back"? Those words and that idea is EXACTLY the dogma I am talking about. We all believe that we have just one more weakness to fix and then we'll be "there".  We all believe that it is our weakness(es) that is(are) keeping us from greatness and from being world-class.

So here is how to break this equation and way of living: STOP! Stop thinking this way. And stop allowing your perceived, or maybe even proven, weaknesses to dictate who you are or are destined to be.

Here is my bet to you, if you are willing to take it. For the next 60 days, completely forget about your weakness(es) and only focus on your two greatest strengths... and when I say focus, I mean I want you to crazy focus. Put a reminder on your calendar.  Put a reminder on your phone.  Heck, put a reminder on your colleagues phone! And simply focus on your unique strengths for 15 min per day. That's it.  Just 15 minutes - more if you're really feelin' it!  At the end of the 60 days... look back at your weaknesses. I bet that over those 60 days you will have made more progress on those weaknesses than had you been directly focused on them.  Let's call it the 15-4-60 Breaking Challenge.  15 minutes for 60 days.


...Take the bet, what do you have to loose? 

No comments:

Post a Comment